I feel like I have amnesia. Now I am slowly remembering all the little things I did as a teenager with my relationship with God. This transition into adulthood has been quite an experience for sure with some very hard moments leaving me with a cynical mind. I knew though, I did not want it and I have always remembered the words of Jesus "Unless you are like the children you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven." That has always been prominent in my thoughts as I slowly saw myself changing. Before I knew it I was a different person than my former teenage self. In some ways that is a good thing, but when it comes to being passionate or unafraid in decisions I had lost those. What I have observed from adults (and myself becoming one) is that we are afraid. Honestly, I am using the word afraid very generally. Afraid in a sense that adults are trying to be "smart" about not making the same mistake twice. It is a human thing, a natural thing for sure. I am not by any means saying that the adult mind is incorrect in its function. As humans we like to be extreme in our decisions... especially when it comes to pain.
No one likes pain, I sure do not like it. What I have noticed though, is there are good things in pain too. Necessary things. We as humans do not have the foresight to see what is happening long term, and because of that we base our decisions off of pain and happiness. It is quite ridiculous really. Pain and happiness are temporary. You see, teenagers and children have not experienced this yet. They do not know that there is always pain or happiness in decisions. As an adult I feel at a disadvantage because I have experienced pain, and pain can dictate my decisions. Adults argue and hesitate, but children give all of themselves without hesitation. Ironically, it is children who are unafraid in making decisions, not adults. Jesus was simplifying it for us because we like to be so complex. He wants us to be passionate, excited, and unafraid... like children.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
TRUE DAT Jacob Butts!
ReplyDeletebut, I feel like your teen years are when you start to know what pain is, and the older we get, the more afraid we are to look stupid and be all out for Jesus!
the other day, I was helping out at the church making copies, and there was the "copier mechanic man" in the room fixing the copier, and the littlest Heller girl went up to him and was all like "look at this drawing of Jesus I drew today! I love Jesus!" and I was just like, woow, what courage! I would never do that, and who knows what kind of seed it planted!
(: