Out of all the seasons Winter is not the least. It is in fact, necessary. That statement will probably get me shot, but hold on to your rifles for a moment. Winter to a lot of people resembles dead and cold, and at times I do believe it myself (when I'm here in Indiana). But oh, if you could only go north in the winter and see what winter is really like compared to mundane Indiana winters! We hardly get much of anything here.
It is a little obvious I like snow, winter, and cold weather. Even my blog motto references winter: Slow down. Freeze. Reflect. This, right here, is exactly why I write these blogs. In our lives we have seasons in which we:
Grow, Live, experience Hardship, and retreat to Solitude.
These seasons are all necessary in our lives. Take out one and you will find it difficult to live. The real seasons are a reminder to us of our own seasons. As much as a want to focus on all of them right now I realize it would take too long. So for the moment I want to discuss the beauty of God in winter.
Winter is cold, yes. Winter is harsh, yes. Winter is not fun, ...well, that's a matter of opinion. I believe winter as a season is like the desert to Moses, John the Baptist, and Jesus. The desert was a place of unforgiving solitude, but there they found company with God because the lack of distractions around them. Tell me, have you ever just LISTENED outside after a fresh-fallen snow covered the ground? What do you hear? Nothing! It is pure silence, beautiful silence. It is God grabbing our attention! LISTEN! Even the animals obey when He commands a time of solitude. Question is: Why don't we? OK, all silence beside, we now have snow. Is there anything else in creation that is more pure!? It is the purification which covers us all. It is God saying "This is what I have done for you!" LOOK! Yet, we are frustrated it slows us. Then we have the cold. It is uncomfortable at times... that is the point. FEEL! However, we complain it is not warm enough. Wake up and pay attention! God is speaking! He is telling us to be still and recognize His sovereignty. This is solitude. This is all of creation acknowledging Him.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment