Here is something I've been pondering for a long time: What does it mean to be Christian? I know the Sunday school answer, but the real answer cannot be so simple. It shifts as though it is living. On a basic level (which would encompass all Christians) we simply acknowledge Christ as our savior, and in many ways as we mature we must never forget this fundamental level. However, this is where I see many Christians stop. The next is to act upon our love for Christ or let His love act for us (it seems to be both at times). The problem with observing this "level" is the complexity of it. How much of ourselves should we truly give? I have the problem of hanging on to certain habits I think are "ok". This is the very essence of an American Christian, and this is why we have a hard time "giving all to God" so-to-speak. We are like the rich young man who wanted to be a disciple of Jesus, but couldn't give up his wealth. To be honest this is the dilemma I've seen in my church for several years now. This is why I question the definition of a Christian.
Whenever I have a question about how we should act I go to scripture. Jesus makes it quite clear "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Jesus says "life"... I'm no expert interpreter but I am pretty sure that means all of your life. The early church gave all of themselves to each other. They "shared" everything they had. They were a family. We experience this when we go on mission trips to places "less fortunate" than ours. The people are truly happy because they give all of themselves to each other and to God. I love and I want that. Why don't we really do that?
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment