Monday, November 30, 2009

Extremes

I do believe we are a complicated species. I should not be surprised I guess. The world ...no, the entire universe is complex in an awe-inspiring and physical sense. Not only is it complex, but everything in it has their own complexities. Everything works together to make something bigger. It is fragile. Almost like balancing on the tip of a needle. But I'm straying away from my original thought.

What I have been thinking about lately has to do with our complexity. I have found it ironic that although everything around us, even ourselves, and our thoughts are complex we still are simple-minded. Why is this? It seems that we cannot control our own complexities around us, and so we return to what we know to be safe or worse: we jump to extremes. Everyone does it. I do it. I see this decision process like a target: it is easy to shoot anywhere but the bulls eye. We know we can at least just hit the target. This applies to every decision and every action we take. Our judgments rely on our simple-minded behavior. Though many say this is a gray world we all treat is like it is black and white. Here is an example: Humanity is self-destructive, solution: destroy or control humanity. Some will say kill the corrupt leaders, but more will rise up. Some will say control is the answer, but the obvious is written in history. Few will say wipe out the human race, but no one wants to die.

Do you see the correlation here? Three solutions with problems because we think we can solve a complex problem with a simple answer (a simple shot). In reality, we can't hit the bulls eye because we do not know how to aim. Another example: Someone says something hurtful to another and to avoid the pain again this person shuts out all criticism (I've seen it). How will this person grow if he does not listen to his enemies AND his friends? He doesn't. Extremes, as I have seen, are a plague upon the human race. It is everywhere! Philosophies use it: utilitarianism (the greater good), old cynicism (non-materialistic), and skepticism (distrusting). Those are only extremes... half-truths. I was surprised to see that I do this in my hesitation and cowardice. I wait because I know it is safe and I know I will not take any risks, and more importantly I know I can just hit anywhere on the "target" in any situation. That is my extreme. Even physically too much food or too much exercise can be bad, but we know the actions themselves are stable. The old saying "everything in moderation" is turning out to be so true. So a conclusion I have come to is in some small way these extremes act as gods we worship. I know my introversion is a tangible foundation for me. I can always count on my introversion when I am in pain or worried, but is that not what God is exactly for?

I think (in my extreme decisions) it is Jesus (don't confuse Him with the church) that literally solves everything. He helps hit the bulls eye for us. As complex as everything is and as simple as this sounds it appears too easy, but I've seen the effect He has on people and I have no doubt it is Him we need. This is what we are here for. Our purpose. He is what makes us prosper instead of being self-destructive. I said earlier everything in the universe is complex, but I also have observed that everything relies on some kind of foundation. Without foundation the complexities will fall apart. God is that foundation not our extremes. The irony of it all is we can just rely on Him, and I believe that is why we are so simple-minded. We cannot solve our problems because we lack the ability to control our extremes.

No comments:

Post a Comment